Falls Chapel

Falls Chapel

or of Cyreneus

According to the map of the sanctuary made by Carlos Amarante, in 1789, this chapel of solid and elegant construction, with scenographic and theological concerns inside them, appears in the place where it is presently.

The ninth chapel of the falls, or of the Cyreneus, built in the 19th century, with a

hexagonal plan and a pyramidal dome with six faces, on the right side of the climber, presents at the top of the entrance door the inscription: «ET VENERUNT IN LOCUM QUI DICITUR GOLGOTHA», translated in this way: «And they came to a place called Golgotha. ».

Inside the chapel, the message stands out: «On the way to Calvary, Bom Jesus can not bear the weight of the cross and fall to the ground. He fell once, fell twice, and the third, the Jews, fearing that he might die on the way, invited a man, named Simon Cyrene, to help him carry the cross. This chapel shows Jesus fallen to earth and the Cyrenian supporting the wood. ».

The images are the authory of the Bracaran sculptor Evangelista Vieira. Both this one and the following chapel are later to D. Rodrigo de Moura Teles, reason why they do not possess the heraldic badge of the prelate.

The ordination of the chapels of Bom Jesus does not follow the traditional Via Sacra, in this case the chapel of the Cyrenian would be the 5th station.


The Bom Jesus do Monte, an unavoidable reference.