From the end of the staircase of the portico, can access to an spacious curvilinear ground, dating from 1893, the viewpoint, rest station for the pilgrim, with ample views of the city, and that gives passage to the road that crosses an arch or tunnel, designed by Engineer Manuel Couto Guimarães.
The viewpoint is covered with a mosaic floor with white and black stone, in stonework frames drawn with varied designs and, in the part facing the west, a railing with iron railing. In this secular circular courtyard, where the horizon seems to be cut by harmonious mountains and enjoys an unparalleled panoramic, there are two chapels.
The seventh chapel, the Praetorium of Pilate, or the Ecce-Homo, where pilots are exposed to the ground, to the right of who does, the building in the 19th century, with an eighth-floor plan and a heraldic insignia of the restorer Moura Teles. Display the sign on the porch: «EXIVIT… PILATUS FORAS, ET DICIT… ECCE HOMO»,translated by: «Pilatos come out and said: Behold the man».
Inside two sculptures, Pilate and Jesus, written by João Evangelista Vieira and a legend that clarifies: “They form the picture of this chapel that represents Pilate showing the Good Jesus to the people, from the top of the porch of his house. Recognizing the innocence of Jesus but lacking the strength to set him free, Pilate, the Roman governor of Palestine, believed that the Jews would be moved by their sorrowful state. But he was mistaken. The multitude, as soon as he saw the Bom Jesus covered with blood, heard Pilate exclaim: “Ecce homo, behold, the man, far from pitying, has taken his wrath to the summit, shouting: Take it away, take it away, crucify him. Pilate did the will to the mutinous people condemning to the death Bom Jesus “.